Wednesday, March 19, 2014

The Greatest Emcee!

There is some talk about who the best mainstream rapper is. I've heard everyone from Lil Wayne to Jay-Z to Wale to Eminem. There is talk that Wale may be, and then there is Kendrick Lamar. My opinion? You just can't create such a broad category because there are two different categories that determine  whole the best rapper is. Don't know what I'm talking about? I'll explain it like this....
Let's look at lyrical inclination, meaning how well a rapper can put words with words and lyrics with lyrics, and how an artist can convey emotion behind the rhymes. In my opinion, some of the greatest go as far as Tupac and Biggie. There is no denying that. But if we are to fast forward to today's mainstream media, it can be said that Lil Wayne or Jay-Z holds the crown. Lil Wayne has been blessed with the talent of putting words together. My problem is his words just don't make sense. He went from rapping about life in the streets, to rapping about nothing (basically!). There is no poetry, no linkage, no meaning. They're just words strategically placed into sentences that end up making no sense. See, I like Wale, Kendrick Lamar, J. Cole, B.o.B., and Eminem. When I'm listening to a Wale song, or a J. Cole song, I feel like I'm listening to Def Jam Poetry, and I love that.
We can look at individuality. I'm talking about rappers that have their own distinct style of rap. Something that can't be copied. Most rappers today rap about cars, hoes, money, popping bands, strippers, shit that has no importance in life at all. Then there are those rappers that rap, and they bring a certain extra to their rap. That extra can't be duplicated at all. I'm talking about rappers such as Nicki Minaj, Childish Gambino, Wiz Khalifa, Snoop. The songs are consistently different. You never see the same style being done twice. Wiz Khalifa has his own style, and has created a few fashion trends along the way. I like to call it the "Wiz Khalifa" swag. He, along with Snoop Lion, made it okay to smoke weed on a daily basis and not have to hide it. Nicki Minaj's style is so far fetched from reality that it is ridiculous. However, it's so ridiculous that it works! She took the idea of characters and she turned it into a brand, a trend. She made it her own. It's important to dare to be different.
There are many good rappers out today: Future, Rocko, Pusha T, etc. However, when it comes to Hip-Hop music, good just isn't good enough. A great rapper has Individuality and Excellent Lyrical Content. Honestly, I haven't found that artist yet!!
Signing off :P!

No comments:

Post a Comment